Friday, January 26, 2007

Final Exam, Second Season

In the Fall, I had a gameshow-like final exam in my Game Industry Survey class. I was happy with the results. Originally I planned to ask everyone two questions, but due to time constraints we only had time for one. This time I'll limit the number of buzz-in responses to make sure we don't get stuck on a single question for too long, so now there can be two questions for everyone.

This was my thinkinguntil someone pointed out the obvious to me: last time I had 16 students, this time I have 27. Oops.

I really don't want to have everyone's final exam grade come down to a single question. I'm thinking of adding a written section at the end, including some questions that everyone must answer. Maybe some essay questions (similar to Fall's "bonus questions" except that they're a part of the raw grade and not a bonus), plus perhaps some quick written fill-in-the-blanks (similar to Fall's "lightning round" except asked of everyone rather than just one person at a time). I don't particularly like this solution because it makes the exam more traditional, but I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Suggestions?

No comments: